Monday, February 10, 2014

Machine Applique with Silhouettee Cameo

I'll start off this post with a confession: This was not as easy as I thought it was going to be.  It took a lot of trial and error, but that will just make it easier for next time.  This month, in sticking with the original silhouette challenge, I wanted to do something I had never done before.  I LOVE when my cameo meets my other favorite hobby...sewing!  I just got a really awesome new embroidery machine and I'm loving every second with it.  So anyway, I'm blabbing and carrying on...let's get on to the tutorial.

In light of Valentine's Day, I found this really cute double heart applique design at GG Designs (This will take you right to the heart, but there are a lot of awesome designs there). I wanted to see if it would be easier if I cut out the pieces first rather than having to trim them in the hoop.

First I had to delete all the fancy embroidery lines in my embroidery software so I could get it as basic as possible. Make sure you undo this, otherwise you'll lose those lines.
And this is what I got when I took a screen shot. This doesn't lend itself to be traced very nicely. So, I traced it using the "Draw a curve shape" tool as highlighted below.
See it highlighted there in the yellow?  So I just traced it point by point. You also need to make sure you resize it to be about the same size as the embroidery file. Ask me how I know.
 
I missed getting a picture of the next couple steps...oops!  I put freezer paper on the back of my fabric to stabilize it.  Make sure it is really tacked down, you don't want it to drag or slip when the blade touches it. I also don't remember what settings I used, but they wouldn't be the same as yours because my blade is really dull and needs replaced!
Then I placed my hearts, once cut out, where I thought they would look best on the towel.  Getting pretty excited about this. However, I cut them too small the first time, so I had to recut.  And I still didn't get them quite big enough, but it worked out okay.
 
Then you just run your embroidery machine the same way you would if you were doing applique the other way.
 
Like I said, it isn't perfect, but it was fun and it turned out pretty cute.  I like how it looks hanging out on my stove.

For more inspiration for using your cameo to do projects with fabric, check out my fellow bloggers projects:

  1. No-Sew Valentine's Day Pillows by A Tossed Salad Life
  2. No-Sew Interchangeable Fabric Bunting by unOriginal Mom
  3. Monogrammed Burlap Garden Flag by The Turquoise Home
  4. Crawl, Walk, Bike by It's Always Craft Time
  5. Freezer Paper Stenciled Tote Bags by Weekend Craft
  6. DIY Bleach Spray Shirt by Practically Functional
  7. Stenciling Sherlock by Please Excuse My Craftermath...
  8. Felt Star Wands by Cutesy Crafts
  9. Yoda Kid's T-Shirt by Architecture of a Mom
  10. Mark Your Territory- Dog Flags by Black and White Obsession
  11. Nautical Pillows by Lil' Mrs. Tori
  12. Big Sister Gift & Silhouette Cut File by Creative Ramblings
  13. Nerdy Baby Onesies + Free Cut File by Essentially Eclectic
  14. Easy Easter Bunny Onesie - Silhouette Cameo Craft by Adventures in All Things Food & Family
  15. Fabric Envelopes for LEARNING LETTERS! (& cut file) by From Wine to Whine
  16. "Good Morning, Sunshine!" Memo Board by Tried & True
  17. Hearts-A-Lot Burlap Pillow Cover by My Paper Craze
  18. Baby Quilt by Dragonfly & Lily Pads
  19. Surprise Holiday Banner by Whats Next Ma
  20. "Team Betty" Tote Bag by The Thinking Closet
  21. DIY Sock Minion by Create it. Go!
  22. Pretty Up Some Organza Bags by Getsilvered
  23. Easy Heart Appliqued Onsies by Create & Babble
  24. Bleach Pen Gel & Freezer Paper Stencils Made with the Silhouette Machine by Bringing Creativity 2 Life
  25. Valentines Baby Onesie & Boy's Shirt + Free Cut Files by The Frill of Life
  26. Valentine's OWL Always Love You T-shirt by My Favorite Finds
  27. DIY Screen Printed Curtains by Chicken Scratch NY
  28. Fabric Painted Quilted Wall Hanging by Terri Johnson Creates
  29. Glitter Iron-On Top by Simply Kelly Designs
  30. DIY Monogrammed T-shirts with Silhouette Heat Transfer Material by Pitter and Glink
  31. Birthday Challenge by Fadville
  32. Machine Applique with SIlhouette Cameo by The Sensory Emporium
  33. Fabric Applique Valentine's Day T-Shirt by DailyDwelling
  34. "Cute as Cupid" shirt by crafts, cakes, and cats
  35. Sew Cute Applique by Life After Laundry
  36. Rhino Onesie by It Happens in a Blink
  37. Upcycled Birchbox Cameo Accesory Organizer by Cupcakes&Crowbars
  38. Customizing textiles with Heat Transfer Vinyl (working title) by feto soap
  39. Easy Fabric Art by McCall Manor
  40. Lady Bug Tote Bag with Silhouette Rhinestones by Ginger Snap Crafts
  41. Mommy and Em's Coordinated Aprons by TitiCrafty
  42. Canvas sketch project and a share by Clever Someday
  43. Foxy Lady Pajamas by Mabey She Made It
  44. Teddy Bear by Work in Progress


 
 





6 comments:

  1. Nice job! I foresee you having a lot of fun with your Silhouette and Embroidery machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really great and Yay! you got to play with two awesome machines.
    That's the first time I've heard of the freezer paper to stabilise fabric. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE freezer paper. It really helped keep the fabric on the mat. I just made sure I ironed it on really really well.

      Delete
  3. I am not sure. I only have the futura program and basic silhouette studio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It looks like after some trial and error you got great results. I want an embroidery machine . I'll have to refer back to this when I get one, so I'll know the best stabilizer to use. :)

    ReplyDelete